- 5 large egg whites
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter cut in tablespoons @room temperature
- Combine whites, salt, and sugar in a heat proof bowl over a pan of of simmering water, whisking constantly until sugar is dissolved and is warm to the touch with no graininess when rubbed against fingers. Or check at 140 degrees.
- Attach the whisk attachment to the mixer and start on low and work up to medium high until stiff peaks form.
- Continue mixing until fluffy and glossy and cool. Around 10 minutes or so.
- Change the mixer to medium low, and add the butter in a few tablespoons at a time and mix well, until all butter is incorporated.
- Whisk in Vanilla and then switch to a paddle. Beat on low to be sure all air bubbles are gone around 2 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides and continue beating until smooth. Keep at room temperature.