- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 1/4 cups white sugar
- 12 egg whites room temp.
- 1 1/2 lbs of unsalted butter cut into tablespoons room temp
- 1 teaspoon GF Vanilla
- Bring sugar and water to a boil on medium /low.
- Using a pastry brush wash down the sides of the pan so crystals do not form.
- Boil 5 minutes and start whipping your room temperature egg whites.
- Slowly pour sugar mixture into the side of the bowl to the egg whites, while beating until cool to the touch. About 10 minutes on high speed.
- If you have a cover for the top of your bowl this would be a good time to use it.
- Add the cut butter into the mixture and beat after each addition.
- The mixture may look soupy. When batter is completely mixed, slow down to low and add Vanilla, beat until light and fluffy.
- If it looks curdled keep beating as it will become smooth.
- Stop and scrape the bowl at least 2 times.
- This can be refrigerated for a week or frozen. to get it back to it's original state just beat it to it's original texture.
Source: http://www.food.com/recipe/italian-buttercream-icing-227419 and For pictures of how it should look along the way....http://cakejournal.com/tutorials/how-to-make-italian-meringue-butter-cream/