Translate

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Smart Balance Buttery Spread



Oh my goodness. I just read something from http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/2011/03/there-is-nothing-smart-about-smart-balance/. She just ripped  new, heart wrenching facts about the "healthier" butter. Since I can't have regular butter (and crave the taste) this was my go to choice Earth Balance. It has the same problems that Smart Choice has it seems I am just beside myself...I have to find an alternative and I am not looking forward to it. I can't have it because it coats my lungs and throat and I get brain fog. My son can't have it because he has a cerebral allergy to milk (casein) . I need a really good alternative. 

Here is a soft butter stretcher I found at http://mindofthemother.blogspot.com for those of you that can use butter:


Ingredients:

1 stick of butter
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil (if you don't like that olive-y taste very much, you can use light)
pinch of salt (if your butter is unsalted)

Directions:

Process in food processor (mixing with a spatula does NOT work... it leaves it really lumpy) Refrigerate.

Alternatives:

Evoo (extra virgin olive oil), ghee, palm oil, and coconut oil.

Olive oil
can substitute margarine or butter in a 3:4 ratio for most recipes. In other words, if your recipe calls for 1 cup of margarine or butter, you can substitute for 3/4 cup Olive oil. Do not make this substitution if you plan on cooking the recipe at 400°F (200°C) or higher. The olive oil will start to smoke at these high temperatures and will make your food have a metallic taste, according to Wikipedia.

Ghee 
Ingredients:
  • 1 pound butter
Directions:
  1. Place butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring butter to boil. This takes approximately 2 to 3 minutes.Once boiling, reduce heat to medium. The butter will form a foam which will disappear.
  2.  Ghee is done when a second foam forms on top of butter, and the butter turns golden. Approximately 7 to 8 minutes.
  3.  Brown milk solids will be in bottom of pan. Gently pour into heatproof container through fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth.
  4.  Store in airtight container being sure to keep free from moisture. Ghee does not need refrigeration and will keep in airtight container for up to 1 month.
Palm oil:
Palm oil is naturally reddish in color because it contains a high amount of beta-carotene. It reduces incidences of arteriosclerosis, reduces blood clotting and cholesterol. Thought to help prevent heart attacks and strokes. It helps inhibit growth of breast cancer cells and other cancers. Reading up on Palm oil..it sounds like it has a lot to give, however there are lots of negatives about how they are conducting business (is this news?), the way it is farmed etc. It also stains things like your hands, towels, and other natural implements, orange. So do not....put use it on your hair unless you want an orange tinge.

Coconut oil:

Coconut oil contains a large proportion of lauric acid, which is converted to monolaurin ( It may be useful in the prevention and treatment of bacterial infection or generally as a microbicide.) Monolaurinis are found in the body, a fat found otherwise only in human breast milk .It is used by movie theater chains to pop popcorn and for all kinds of deserts. You can fry and saute with it. It is used in Asian, Indian, and Mexican foods. Did you know that Coconut oil can be used as a skin moisturizer, helping with dry skin and reduces protein loss when used in hair. It can be used as a sexual lubricant, but it will weaken latex condoms. Who knew the versatility of coconut oil?


If anyone finds a good substitute,  P L E A S E  let me know. I am always up to trying something different. I will be switching out the butter with these idea's and I will let you know what happens.
* UPDATE:
I just purchased a tub of Earth Balance Organic Coconut Spread. at first I was thinking ok...I will just "try" it. But I was pleasantly surprised at the consistency and the taste. I think it will be a great alternative to butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment