What's great about this recipe is that you can use almost any nut. Times may vary due to the nut's oils. So check on them so that they are only golden brown. Make lots ahead of time.
- 1 cup shelled whole walnuts, or nuts of choice
- 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1 large egg white
- Ground cinnamon
- Fine Sea Salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat the egg white until stiff peaks form.
- If you don’t have an electric egg beater, this may take a awhile.
- Mix beaten egg white, sugar, and walnuts in a large bowl until walnuts are covered.
- Use your hands if necessary. Spread the walnuts onto an aluminum foil-covered baking sheet, making sure that they lay only one nut thick.
- Bake until the sugary egg part is golden-brown, about 12-15 minutes.
- Open the oven every once in awhile and take a peek. Sprinkle cinnamon immediately on top to taste.
- When cooled completely, store in an airtight container. Make a bunch as these go fast.
* Some people like to throw on a dash of salt for that sweet salty taste. I would make a batch first and see what you would like. Get creative and use your own spices, like nutmeg, pumpkin spice, rosemary etc.
Source: Balbina Paul