This is a great way to end a Mexican meal. Make these puppies a day ahead and stow them away in the freezer. A wonderful treat at the end of a spicy day. Nibble them poolside too. Easy to pass around and no one can say no to these.
- ½ cup unsalted butter or butter of choice, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 5 teaspoons grated lime rind, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 11.25 ounces all-purpose GF flour (about 2 ½ cups)
- 1 ½ teaspoons GF baking powder
- 1/3 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon turbinado sugar
- ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 2 cups lime sherbet, softened
- Place butter and sugar in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, 1 tablespoon lime rind, and lime juice; beat 2 minutes or until well combined.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and 1/3 teaspoon table salt; stir with a whisk.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture, and beat just until combined.
- Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Shape each portion into a 6 inch log.
- Wrap logs individually in plastic wrap; chill 3 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350. Cut each log into 1 1/3 inch thick slices, and place 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the cookies evenly with remaining 2 teaspoons lime rind, turbinado sugar, and sea salt.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Cool for 2 minutes on pans on a wire rack.
- Remove from baking sheets, and cool completely on wire rack.
- Place vanilla ice cream and sherbet in a medium bowl; lightly fold and swirl together.
- Scoop ¼ cup ice cream mixture onto bottom of one cookie, and top with one cookie.
- Cover each sandwich with plastic wrap; freeze 4 hours or until firm.
- (Make ahead and save for later) About 16 servings.
Source: Maureen Callahan