- 3 tablespoons oil of your choice
- 1 lb. chicken breasts or ground chicken
- 4 oz. shiitake mushrooms, chopped or mushrooms of choice
- 1/2 onion diced (sweet onion preferred but any will do)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, finely chopped or shallots minced if preferred
- handful of cilantro, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup GF soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon GF chili garlic sauce or sauce of choice
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- iceberg or bibb lettuce
- 1 avocado or more, sliced
- Heat a saute pan with 2 tablespoons oil.
- Cut the chicken into the smallest pieces possible and add the pan. Don’t worry about overcrowding the pan, the chicken doesn't need to brown; just cook it until it’s done all the way through. I prefer it a little browned for more flavor.
- While the chicken is cooking, add the lemon juice, chili sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, green onions and cilantro into a serving bowl.
- Once the chicken is done, add it the bowl.
- Add a few more tablespoons of oil to the sauté pan and toss in the mushrooms, onion and garlic.
- Sauté until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add to the bowl. Toss everything around to coat.
- Remove the stem of your lettuce head with a knife (if you’re using iceberg, slice the head in 1/2, lengthwise). Peel the lettuce into individual “cups” and wash.
- Pile the chicken into your lettuce cups and top with avocado.
Source: Megan Keatley/adapted by Olinda