Translate

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Dried Tomatoes

When plum and sweet cherry tomatoes are in season I dry them for the winter, put them in zip lock bags and freeze them or I use a seal a meal and freeze them. Either way, it's a great way to add zip to your food. I sometimes eat them right out of the bag. My grandmother used to dry all kinds of food during it's peak of freshness. Tomatoes, peaches, apricots, grapes, herbs, everything. So great to snack on!


Ingredients:
  • 12 plum or cherry tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil or oil of choice
  • 1/4 teaspoon seal salt, or to taste
  • Parchment paper (a must)
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, or (try other spices like Italian etc.)
Directions:
  1. Wash and pat tomatoes dry with paper towels. Remove stems and slice in half, lengthwise (from stem to bottom of tomato). Remove seeds if you like. I prefer them intact.
  2. Toss with olive oil. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone liner. 
  3. Sprinkle with sea salt and or spice of choice.
  4. Bake at 200 degrees for 2 to 4 hours. Peel off paper and store in containers or bags. I prefer my seal a meal. (For longer storage I use my seal a meal and store it in a freezer bag and pop it in the freezer.
NOTE: You can attempt to do this in the microwave but I find they keep their taste better this way.

Source: Carol Fenster, Special Diet Celebrations pg.214 , adapted by Olinda Paul 

No comments:

Post a Comment