• 6 lemon peels, cut into ¼ inch strips,
• 4 Orange peels, cut into ¼ inch strips
• 1/3 cup of Sugar in the raw for decoration
• 2 cups of natural organic sugar
• 1 cup of water
1. Place lemon and orange peel in large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for 20 minutes, drain and set aside.
2. In medium saucepan, combine 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil and cook until mixture reaches thread stage, 230 degrees F (108 degrees C) on candy thermometer, or small amount dropped in cold water forms a soft thread. Stir in drained peel, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Drain.
3. Roll peel pieces, a few at a time (I use tongs), in remaining sugar. Let dry on wire rack overnight. Store in airtight container.
I used an oval platter with sugar in the raw and organic (somewhat white style) sugar and used tongs to drop peels in and smush around then put on the wire rack that has tin foil or waxed paper under it to clean up faster. Drying it overnight gives it that crisp crunch which I like. Put in decorated tins or tightly capped pretty jars. They quickly get eaten and are sort of addictive.