Monday, January 31, 2011

Slow Cookers


My slow cooker is a very basic slow cooker. You turn it on low or high or warm. I can lift the insert out easily and set it on the counter to serve, and when dinner is over, it is easy to wash. There are many new ones on the market now with timers and all kinds of things. Mine works fine for what I need. 

I love being able to put a meal together at night.  I put the lid on it and stick it in the fridge until morning and just before I leave the house I pop in the insert with all the items in it, turn it on and come home to a lushes smell of dinner already made. HEAVEN. I pull some GF rolls out of the freezer, defrost them in the microwave and dinner is served. What could be better except your own personal chef?

We can make soups, stews, chili, chicken, roasts and even deserts of all things. All you have to do is make sure everything is gluten free. So easy.  Let’s start with chicken. Wash and pat dry your chicken. Use a light sprinkling of salt and pepper and GF onion powder. Set chicken inside the pot. (The reason for the light use of spices is that the spices will intensify in the cooking) Cut up your favorite veggies, like carrots, red potatoes, etc. and place around the outside of the chicken. Pop on the lid, turn it on, and you are done.


Walk away from the Crock Pot. This is a great recipe for a first time cook. My son could make this when he was 13. I walked him through  it on the phone one day when I had to go to work earlier than expected and he had the school day off. When I came home yumm! It smelled soooo good. We had some rolls and hot chocolate with it. Later I made chocolate pudding. Great night. He was very impressed with himself. He couldn't figure out why women complain about the kitchen. Hummm we may have to have more instruction in the future.


 I will put up some recipes soon. I want you to understand which items are important (at least to me) in my kitchen, because they may be the same for you.

* If your pot is cracked or chipped where food may touch it, throw it out and buy another insert. You don't want any leaching from the pot into your food. ICKY!

No comments:

Post a Comment