Translate

Monday, November 24, 2014

Homemade Deodorant Recipe For Sensitive Skin (Baking Soda Free)
In the past I just used my baking soda recipe and loved it. But I am even getting sensitive to that so I found this on Mommypotamus  and have been using it ever since. She says...This is a gentle formula that works well for those that are sensitive to baking soda. Diatomaceous earth is a powder made from fossilized phytoplankton. It’s rich in silica and highly antimicrobial, which is why it works so well. It’s pH can vary depending on where it is sourced from, but it is typically lower than baking soda.
Ingredients
o   3/4 cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch
o   1/4 cup food grade diatomaceous earth (where to buy food grade diatomaceous earth) ( I found it here in Vista at a feed store)
o   7-9 tablespoons melted coconut oil  (I used 1 TB of Shea butter in that 7 tablespoons)
option: I added a few drops of mint to mine or you can use any scent you want. Be mindful of how much you use. Most of the time I prefer unscented as all our products that we buy have scent in it...pretty soon you tend to smell hinky with so many going on, especially if you have a problem with scents like me.
Instructions
1. Combine diatomaceous earth and arrowroot powder/cornstarch.
2. Add six tablespoons melted coconut oil and mix with a fork. Continue adding coconut oil until the deodorant reaches your preferred consistency. I added a little extra about 1/2 teaspoon or so to mine as I thought it was a little too loose. Don't do it until you let the original set about 6 hrs or overnight, then determine if it needs and additional arrowroot or cornstarch. Mine is almost too firm. Looks can be deceiving.
3. Transfer mixture to a jar with a tight fitting lid. Remember to let it cool without the lids first.  I used old little short plastic herb jars from McCormick (about 3) to store mine. the rest I put in a little travel jar or emergency pack.
To Use
Apply a small amount to underarms with your fingertips as needed. this deodorant really works but remember this is not an antiperspirant. I love it as much as my baking soda recipe but much gentler on my sensitive skin. 


Source: Mommypotamus

No comments:

Post a Comment