Translate

Friday, September 2, 2011

Poppy-Seed Dressing

This salad dressing is soooo good on fruit salads, spinach salad with purple onion, hard cooked egg, crisp  crumbled bacon and GF croutons sauted  in butter and garlic.

Ingredients:

  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup granulated superfine sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon prepared Dijon style mustard
  • 2/3 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 3 tablespoons grated fresh yellow onion plus any juice from the grating
  • 2 cups corn oil (or oil of choice)
  • 3 tablespoons poppy seeds

Directions:

  1. Combine egg, sugar, mustard, vinegar, salt, grated onion and juice in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade.
  2. Process for 1 minute. With the motor running, pour in the oil in a slow, steady stream.
  3. When all the oil is incorporated, shut off the motor, taste and correct seasoning.
  4. Transfer mixture to a bowl, stir in poppy seeds and refrigerate, covered, until ready to use.

    * About 1 quart


Source: The Silver Palate Cookbook

2 comments:

  1. Olinda, Funny that I have always loved poppyseed dressing but never make it myself. Maybe I never had a good recipe;) until now.
    By the way, I've been meaning to ask if you ever use nutritional yeast in your cooking? I haven't done much with it other than sprinkle it over buttered popcorn. But is gives that wonderful cheesy taste, yet is gluten-free. Just a thought:)
    -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin,
    I haven't used nutritional yeast in cooking as yet. I really need to read up on it and experiment. I probably haven't used it because I sometimes have stomache problems with regular yeast. I don't know if they are similar but I need to give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

    Oh, and everything in the Silver Palate Cookbook that I have tried has come out great. The story is, a couple of Jewish girls got together and put the book out. I have had it for years. Thus the kosher stuff inside. YUMMO.

    ReplyDelete