- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup granulated superfine sugar
- 1 Tablespoon prepared Dijon style mustard
- 2/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh yellow onion plus any juice from the grating
- 2 cups corn oil (or oil of choice)
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Combine egg, sugar, mustard, vinegar, salt, grated onion and juice in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade.
- Process for 1 minute. With the motor running, pour in the oil in a slow, steady stream.
- When all the oil is incorporated, shut off the motor, taste and correct seasoning.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl, stir in poppy seeds and refrigerate, covered, until ready to use.
* About 1 quart
Source: The Silver Palate Cookbook