Translate

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Summer Mango Pudding

I just love Mango's. One year here in Vista where I live in San Diego, I had a mango fest. I love the way they look with all their pretty colors, and their shape. The juicy sweetness and the tang of the fruit mean spring and summer to me.

Frazier Farms was having a sale, 10 mangos for some ridicules price drop. I practically flew overhead and circled around the table like a hawk to swoop up the yummiest ones I could find. I got home and got busy.

I stuffed my mouth with so many wonderful mangos. They were perfection. I had realized though, I had not thought this through. I now had hardly any mangos to make anything with. I then went back to the store for my second round of mangos. I bought another load of mangos and took them home. This was just too good to be true and I wanted to have all I needed before they found out their prices were too low.

I looked and felt like a mango that day. Then I happened upon this recipe I want to share with you. Love the creaminess and the simple beauty of this pudding. It makes my mouth water just thinking about it. Try not to overcook them as I feel they lose some of their flavor when cooked.

Ingredients:

6  ripe mangoes, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar of choice
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
4 cups coconut cream (or heavy cream)

Directions:

1. Place first 3 ingredients in a large saucepan over medium heat, and sauté 5 minutes or until mango is very soft.

2. Add sugar, and continue cooking, stirring and scraping bottom of saucepan frequently, 12 to 15 minutes or until thick and syrupy with a few chunks of mango remaining. (Do not let sugar caramelize or brown.)

3. Remove from heat, and cool to lukewarm. (Important) Sprinkle gelatin over 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water in a small bowl, and let soften 3 to 5 minutes. Stir softened gelatin into mango mixture until dissolved.

4. Add cream, and stir until blended. Divide mixture among 10 (4-ounce) ramekins or serving bowls or beautiful crystal pedestal goblet. Chill, uncovered, 3 hours or until set.

5. Serve cold, topped with whipped cream or more fresh mangos and or a sprig of mint…or all the above!

Source: Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment