Soak the beans overnight in 1 tablespoon of baking soda or if you want it done quicker: Boil a pot of water with 1 tablespoon of baking soda and drop in the beans. Turn off flame. Soak for at least an hour. The water will be dark. Rinse and then proceed.
The beauty about this is that all this can be made ahead of time including the rice. Make it the day before you know that your going to have a busy day. All you have to do is grab an individual bowl, put in the rice and top with the beans, then pop it into the microwave to heat them up. Top it with cheese, sour cream and chives. Warm up some tortillas and dinner is served.
- 1 cup of dried black beans soaked overnight then rinse and drain
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 large clove of fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon of dried parsley (or use fresh)
- 1 quart of GF chicken stock
- oil of choice for frying
- 1 big carrot diced
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms of choice or 2 big handfuls
- 1 package of Bear-itos Taco Mix (or use a GF favorite)
- Put a couple of tablespoons of oil in the pressure cooker and saute the onions until soft.
- Add parsley and cook for 1 minute. Continue stirring. Add garlic and cook 1 minute or until garlic scent is released. Add rinsed black beans.
- Add 1 quart of chicken stock and the taco mix, stir. Close lid on pressure cooker and put on pressure cap.
- Heat on high until it starts rocking back and forth, then turn it down so that it keeps rocking.
- Cook for 15 minutes and take pot off the heat and run cold water over the pot to let steam escape.
- Open the pot and put in the carrot and mushrooms. Put lid back on with pressure cap and heat back up until it is rocking again (not violently). Cook another 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let sit for 15 minutes, or until steam escapes.
- Serve over fresh hot rice and top with cheddar cheese a dollop of sour cream and chives.
*Put this in individual servings and freeze for lunch at work. YUM!
Source: Olinda Paul