Serves at least 8 people
- 1 5-6 lb lamb roast (leg or shoulder)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 c thinly sliced onions
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 c GF broth (meat or vegetable)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 11oz pkg dried mixed fruit (can substitute dried figs, apricots or other fruit of preference)
1. Brown lamb on all sides in Dutch oven. Start w/fat side down, if leg is used. Remove from pan.
2. Add oil and onions. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are just brown but not burnt. Add the lamb, fat(est) side up and sprinkle with salt and pepper (unless broth is salty, in which case, omit added salt).
3. Add broth. Sprinkle lamb with cumin. Cover and cook over low heat 1 1/2 hr.
4. Turn the lamb over. Add the dried fruit. Cover and cook 1 1/2 hrs longer.
Note: the fruit, onions and broth will form a sauce, which is good over rice or your grain of choice, served alongside the lamb.
Source: Trisha Lindsey