- 1 (2-31/2 lb.) whole roasting chicken
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- GF onion powder
- GF garlic powder
- Turn on oven to 400 F. Wash and dry chicken thoroughly. Pat dry inside and out.
- Sprinkle the inside and outside of chicken with salt and pepper, onion powder and a little garlic powder. Enough so you can "see" it on the chicken.
- Place in a small roasting pan or baking dish sprayed with oil of choice. Pop into the oven for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Check at 45 minutes to check to see if it is done, and if it is golden brown. If the leg moves easily at the joint, it is ready.
- The skin should be crisp. If in doubt use a meat thermometer.
- Take out of the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes or so, so that the juices can stop moving. Juices should run clear.
I also like to throw a sprig of rosemary in the cavity, onion, garlic, rice, and sometimes dry white wine. Just have fun and play with it. You will find the amount of spices vary from person to person. Do what works for you. I like simplicity.
Source: My mother, and practice over the years.