- 1 cup Plain Tomato Sauce
- 4 lbs. small fresh clams
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 3 flat anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 lb. GF linguine
- Soak clams in COLD water for 15-20 minutes. Scrub clams with a brush and rinse thoroughly. We don't want sand in the food.
- Put clams, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and water in a large saucepan; cover. Cook over high heat until clams open, 1-2 minutes. (Do not overcook or they will be rubbery)
- Remove clam from pot and remove clam meat from shells.
- Strain pan juices and place in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered until liquid is reduced to about 1/2 cup. Set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a medium saucepan. Add garlic, parsley and anchovies. Saute over medium heat for 1 minute. When garlic changes color and smells fragrant, add tomato sauce, reserved clam juice and salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes.
- Add clam meat and cook 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Fill a very large saucepan two-thirds full with salted water. Bring water to a boil. Add linguine following manufactures directions. Drain and place in warm deep bowl. Add sauce and toss gently until mixed Serve immediately. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
* Have the pot of salted water ready to go so you can heat it up about the time you start step #5.
Source: May have been adapted from Biba Caggiano pg. 53 since it is very similar language