- 4 slices of GF bread
- 6 tablespoons butter of choice
- 2 tablespoons anchovy paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 filet mignons, 3/4 inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup dry Marsala wine or sherry
- 1/3 cup whipping cream, if desired
- 10 to 12 very thin slices white Italian truffles, or mushrooms of choice.
- Remove crust from bread. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a medium skillet. When butter foams, add bread. Cook over medium heat until golden on both sides. Place bread on a large oven-proof platter. Spread 1/2 tablespoon anchovy paste on each slice of bread. Keep platter warm in oven.
- Remove butter from skillet and clean with paper towels. Melt 3 tablespoons butter with oil. When butter foams, add filet mignons. Cook over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add 1/2 cup Marsala or sherry. Deglaze skillet by stirring to dissolve meat juices attached to bottom of skillet. Cook meat over medium heat to preferred doneness.
- Place a filet mignon on each slice of bread. Keep warm.
- Add remaining Marsala or sherry and cream, if desired, to skillet. Stir over high heat until sauce has a medium-thick consistency. Spoon sauce over meat. Top with truffle/mushroom slices, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Makes 4 servings. Garnish with Italian parsley and a rose cut radish. This is a very elegant dish when you want to impress someone.
Source: Biba Caggiano-Northern Italian Cooking