Put this bread into a COLD oven for a crisp crust and nice texture. If this doesn’t work in your oven, let the bread rise until level with top of pan; then bake in preheated 425ºF oven 25 to 30 minutes. Use a pan specially designed for French bread.
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 ¼ cups warm (110ºF) milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups Carol's Sorghum Blend (see below)
- 1 cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- ¼ cup nonfat dry milk powder (not Carnation) or Better Than Milk soy powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon butter or buttery spread, softened
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Egg wash (optional—1 egg white, beaten with 1 tablespoon water)
- Dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water. Set aside 5 minutes.
- Grease French bread pans or line with parchment paper.
- In bowl of heavy-duty stand mixer, combine all ingredients (sorghum blend through vinegar) plus yeast-milk mixture. Beat on low speed to blend, then beat on medium speed for 30 seconds, stirring down sides with spatula. Dough will be soft.
- Divide dough in half on prepared pan. Smooth each half into 12-inch log with wet spatula. Brush with egg wash for glossier crust. Make 3 diagonal slashes (⅛-inch deep) in each loaf so steam can escape during rising.
- Place immediately on middle rack in cold oven. Set to 425ºF and bake approximately 30 to 35 minutes, or until nicely browned.
- Remove bread from pans; cool completely on wire rack before slicing with electric knife. Makes 2 loaves. Serves 20 (1-inch slices).
Carol's Sorghum Blend
1 ½ cups sorghum flour
1 ½ cups potato starch
1 cup tapioca flour
Whisk together and store, tightly covered, in a dark, dry place.