Translate

Monday, October 29, 2012

DEODORANT

Is it my imagination or are products getting more and more expensive? I wanted to buy some lip balm and I gasped at the prices. I started digging around and found some beauty products that actually work. I will be posting different recipes that you can make them for yourself, someone you love, or just a friend. Makes a great gift.

This is one of my favorites.... deodorant.  I can make this with or without scent. I made it and used it on the weekend just in case I thought it would fail. The best part about it is that it WORKS! Yes, much to my shock and dismay and thrill mind you...I am now a believer. Even my 17 year old son uses it and likes it. Teenage boys and girls bodies are changing and you know what that smells like.

You don't need to even scent it if you are allergic. I do not scent my sons and I use mint.  Be careful how much you put in it, as my first try at this was pretty minty. The strength of the oil varies with the company that makes it and what kind they use. (grapefruit, mint or any oil that combats bacteria growth I find helpful) I much prefer unscented since we use shampoos, conditioners and lotions that contain scents already. Too many scents can conflict with each other.

I like that I can make it anytime and it is fresh and powerful. It is not an antiperspirant, I have no idea how they do that without chemicals I am sorry to say. Most people don't need that powerful of deodorant. Simple to make and easy to apply. This is an ideal gift for anyone, along with the recipe, so they can make their own.

Deodorant:

Ingredients:

  • 2 1/2  Tablespoons of unrefined melted coconut oil
  • 2        Tablespoons of baking soda + 1/4 teaspoon
  • 2        Tablespoons of arrowroot or cornstarch + 1/4 teaspoon
  • 10      or less drops of your favorite essential oil (optional)

Directions:
  1. In a custard cup melt the coconut oil.
  2. Add the baking soda and stir.
  3. Add the arrowroot (or cornstarch) and stir
  4. Add essential oils if using and stir.
Mix all ingredients together and put in a small, clean container like a little tin or plastic re-usable container. I used a small, .75 spice jar (the small ones from McCormick sharing the recipe)  for mine and for my sons I used a mint candy tin. I'm going to see which one works the best.
Let it set to firm up and cool..about an hour or so, before closing the lid. 

You may want to adjust this recipe with more or less of certain ingredients if you choose. I prefer this recipe for myself. Everyone is different. If you need it dryer add soda and arrowroot 1/4 tsp at a  time. If you need less, then decrease the amount. 

PS. I tried putting it in an old Mennen deodorant container, and it works just fine, IF you keep it in the fridge or somewhere cool. If it gets warm it will leak out the bottom of the container eventually.



No comments:

Post a Comment