Translate

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Almond Roca


Who doesn't like this candy? This is the easiest recipe I have found. Butter is better but if you can't have butter like me, use what works for you. Most vanilla baking chips use milk so I opt to just use more semisweet chocolate chips.

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup slivered almonds
  • 1 cup GF butter or margarine
  • 1 cup sugar of choice
  • 3 tablespoons boiling water
  • 2 tablespoons GF rice syrup
  • 1/2 cup semisweet GF chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup GF vanilla baking chips (or use ½ cup more chocolate chips)

Directions:

  1. Sprinkle almonds on a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 300 degrees F for 15 minutes or until toasted and golden brown; remove from the oven and set aside.
  2. In a saucepan over low heat, cook butter and sugar for 5 minutes. Add water and rice syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook, stirring occasionally, until a candy thermometer reads 300 degrees F (hard-crack stage).  This may take a while but keep stirring.
  3. Quickly pour over almonds. Sprinkle chocolate chips/white chips on top; let stand for 1-2 minutes or until melted. 
  4. (I put mine in a 300 degree oven until softly melted. With an icing spatula, I spread and swirl chocolate over candy. Cool completely (I used a pizza cutter to score the candy to make it easier to break into pieces while still warm. After it cooled slightly , I put it in the fridge until firm. then I broke up the pieces.

* Try to work quickly and have everything ready to go because it moves fast smoothing the chocolate at the end of the recipe.

Source:
All Recipes/Adapted by Olinda

2 comments:

  1. Olinda,
    Chocolate and Almonds - yep a dream combo for me. I could eat these year round!
    I hope your holidays are treating you well. Wishing you all the best for 2012.
    -E

    ReplyDelete
  2. The really rocked. It was so easy and I also did a couple of change ups. For those who couldn't do Almonds, I used another nut or flax seeds. Great on both accounts.

    ReplyDelete