- 1 (2-1/2 to 3-lb) rabbit
- Leaves from 1 sprig fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 4 fresh sage leaves or
- 1/2 teaspoon subbed sage
- 2 garlic cloves
- 10 juniper berries
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 to 5 tablespoons GFwhite wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Cut rabbit into serving pieces or ask the butcher to do so. Wash and dry thoroughly.
- Coarsely chop rosemary, sage and garlic together. Crush juniper berries; add to rosemary mixture.
- Rub rabbit pieces with rosemary-juniper mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put rabbit pieces into a large bowl. Add vinegar and oil. Let stand 3 to 4 hours, turning meat fa few times.
- Place rabbit and marinade in a large heavy casserole. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover casserole. Simmer 40 to 50 minutes, stirring a few times during cooking. Increase heat to medium-high.
- Cook uncovered 10 to 15 minutes or until rabbit is tender and only a few tablespoons of sauce remain.
- Place rabbit on a warm platter. Taste and adjust sauce for seasoning, then spoon over rabbit. Serve immediately. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Source: Biba Caggiano-Northern Italian Cooking page8