• coconut oil, or Canola oil
• 1/4 yellow onion, chopped
• 1 large clove garlic, pressed
• 1 mild Indonesian red chili or 1/4 red bell pepper, seeds removed and chopped
• 1/2 chicken breast (skin and bones removed), cut into bite sized chunks (or use large shrimp)
• sea salt ( Get Balinese salt if you can - it is delectable.)
• 1 teaspoon soy sauce (GF folks, be sure to use Tamari)
• 1/3 cup carrot, sliced somewhat thin into lovely flowers
• 1/3 cup turnip, sliced somewhat thin into lovely flowers as well
• 1 small tomato, diced
• 2 large button mushrooms, sliced into sixths
• 1/3 cup fresh corn kernels ( or baby corn sliced) (cant do corn? leave it out)
• 1/3 cup sliced green beans
• (cauliflower and broccoli also work in this soup)
• 1 shallot, peeled and sliced thin
• 5-6 cashews or a good handful (You might as well have a few more, just for munching.)
• 2/3 cup chopped Napa cabbage
• 2/3 cup chopped bok choy
- Prep all ingredients. Later, you will need to quickly add ingredients and want to have everything easy and ready for this quick-to-cook stew. Set it up in the order you will be cooking in.
- Place a sauce pan on the stove over medium high heat. Quickly heat 1 tablespoon coconut (careful, it can burn) or Canola oil, then turn heat down to medium. Saute and stir red pepper, onion, garlic in the oil for about 1 minute.
- Add chicken or Shrimp until almost pink (I used Trader Joe's Frozen Shrimp) and about 1/4 teaspoon sea salt. Stir and cook for another minute or so.
- Add 1 teaspoon soy sauce and one cup water. Stir and turn up heat to high. When liquid comes to a boil, add turnips and carrots. Reduce heat to a vigorous simmer and cook about 3 minutes.
- Add chopped tomato - cook another minute.
- Add mushrooms, corn, and green beans and cook another two minutes. Cover an set stew aside until you're ready to eat.
- Slice shallot. Saute shallots over medium/low heat with a small amount of coconut or canola oil for about 5 minutes until brown and crispy. Stir shallots regularly to insure even cooking. Set aside.
- Quickly fry cashews in coconut or Canola oil until brown. Set aside.
- Just before eating, bring soup to a boil. Add cabbage and bok choy. Cook only a minute or so until all veggies are tender. Plate the soup. Top with fried shallot and cashews. Dig in. Ahhhhh